Thursday, May 10, 2012

Don't Use Your Microwave

Don't use your microwave!  At least that's what we've all heard at one time or another.  Many concerns are radiation leaks, toxic foods, and/or changes in the food's nutrient value

Microwaves heat your food by vibrating molecules, mostly water molecules, which produce friction.  Since radiation is not used in microwaves, radiation does NOT pose any health threats.  Furthermore, there have been no studies that confirm that microwaved foods have resulted in sickness or disease.

On the other hand, microwaving foods can change vitamin and mineral content; but, so does traditional cooking.  The decrease in the amount of vitamins and minerals occurs because of the heat and not the source of the heat.

Microwaving (or cooking) your food in plastic is a whole other topic.  But if you use glass or most ceramics, there shouldn't be any danger in using a microwave to heat your food.

No comments:

Post a Comment