Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Have You Tried a Protein-Rita?

Have you ever said, "I wish my margarita had some protein"?  Have you wanted your fruit and protein smoothie to have some alcohol?  Well it's time we mix these two drinks and make one Super Drink!

My first attempt was a strawberry-banana protein margarita.  In a blender, I mixed 4 strawberries, half a banana, 3 oz of tequila, zero calorie sweetener, 1 1/2 scoops of whey protein, crushed ice, and water.  On a scale of 1 to 10, the taste was a 7....but the "healthiness" ranked a perfect 10!

I made 4 - 8oz servings.  Each serving had 100 calories, almost zero fat, 5 grams of carbs, 8 grams of protein, and 8 grams of alcohol.  Not bad considering a restaurant style margarita of equal serving has almost 400 calories of sugar and alcohol; and no protein.

Next I tried vodka instead of tequila.  I also tried orange juice instead of strawberries and bananas.  It was also pretty good.  Remember, restaurants usually use fruit syrups.  When adding REAL fruit and protein powder, it changes the texture significantly...more like a smoothie than a margarita.  Also, since natural fruit sugars aren't as sweet as syrups, be prepared to add a zero calorie sweetener.  Have fun, be creative, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment